Wednesday, 18 April 2012

Kroatia! :D


Hey Reader! Long time no chat! As most of you know, I was gone from Friday to Monday on my birthday trip to Croatia! It was so much fun and definitely just what I needed to break up the month! So much happened in such a short amount of time so get ready for a long entry!

Everything is ridiculously expensive in Norge, as I’ve mentioned several times before. This is most certainly the case with taxis. Since our flight to Croatia left at 7:30am on Friday, we needed to catch the 4:30am bus to the ‘Oslo’ airport (which is an hour long ride) and to get to the bus we needed to take the metro. Unfortunately the metro doesn’t run that early in the morning. We looked into taking a taxi and it was going to be 80$ total to go 10km. Yeah, I don’t think so. Instead, we camped out at the bus station like troopers and saved the money.

We got into Pula, Croatia at around 9:30am. It was raining (like it was for most of the time we were there) but it was still beautiful! I didn’t realize just how Mediterranean Croatia is! I always pictured it kind of run down and old school but I felt like I was in Greece or Italy! We caught a cab to our hostel, put our stuff away and headed out to explore the city. Pula is known for having the 6th largest intact Roman amphitheatre in all of Europe as well as many more ruins from the days of the Romans. We basically walked around the entire city that day taking pictures and finding our way around. The amphitheatre was incredible! I’ve never seen anything like it before! It felt like we were in a gladiator movie or something! Until I get to see the coliseum in Rome, this will definitely suffice!

Saturday morning it was raining again but that didn’t stop us! We woke up early and walked to the bus depot where we caught a ride up the coast to the small town of Rovinj. You have to see the pictures of this village to understand how breathtaking it was (seriously, go look at the pictures on FaceBook)! The old town was perched on a little hill with a church on top over looking the Adriatic Sea’s coast. There was a boardwalk, an adorable little marina and side streets galore! Luckily the rain wasn’t constant so it wasn’t that bad walking around. Either way, we had umbrellas. We tried some traditional food for lunch including calamari and čevapčići (they looked like breakfast sausages but tasted like a mixture of hamburger and steak)! They were both delicious! We caught the bus back to Pula and meandered around town for the rest of the afternoon. That was when we discovered the gelato shop called ‘Charlie’. Oh my goodness, I’ve never had better tasting strawberry ice cream in my life! Needless to say we enjoyed ourselves at that particular spot!

Sunday we had planned to go down to Primentura, a 5km stretch of sandy beaches and little coves. Unfortunately it was pouring rain and neither of us felt like walking along the beach in the rain. So instead we hung around Pula. It was actually a really fun day! Some of the friends we made at the hostel were also waiting out the rain and we all hung out together watching movies and chatting. The sun finally peeked out around 5:30pm so we immediately dashed outside and went walking along the harbor. It was definitely a prediction for Monday’s weather!

All I wanted to do while in Croatia was to swim in the Adriatic Sea. Unfortunately it was much too rainy and chilly to do that before Monday. But on Monday the sun decided to come out and gave us a beautiful day of +18 with scattered clouds. We walked up to Veredula, the nearest beach to Pula, and spent the day on the water. We had bought lunch from a bakery in Pula and brought it with us. We found an amazing little cove where we sat on the beach and lazed in the sun! At around 1:00pm, an Italian guy named Alex came down to the water and sat down with us. At first we were hesitant but he turned out to be very friendly and we chatted for a good hour. When he left, the sun was just warm enough to venture a dip in the ocean. It was FREEZING. Karina and I each went in for no more than two minutes but we documented the occasion. We DID swim in the Adriatic Sea… Just not for very long. And that’s it.

No comments:

Post a Comment