Dearest of dear Reader, I am back and about to embark on yet another adventure! For those who joined me on my six week quest at Bamfield Marine Science Center this summer, welcome back guys and thanks for caring. For those new to Victorialune land, get ready, this blog is going to be awesome! I'm studying abroad in Norway for six months and what better way to keep my friends and family informed than ranting and raving? I can't think of one. So buckle up and prepare yourselves for some serious Norskness.
Before I begin, I feel the need to clarify a few things. The first is that I am going abroad to STUDY. I am not going to volunteer, work, 'take a break from school', etc. No, I am going to learn. Along with learning I am going to ensure my citizenship with the nordic country. For you see dear Reader, I am a dual citizen of Canada and Norway but to keep my Norwegian citizenship I must live in Norway for six months before I turn 22 (random age right?!). The next thing I need to clarify is the title of my blog. Some of you have heard me use the word 'Norge' before but for those who haven't, it simply means Norway in Norwegian. Also the word 'Norsk' means Norwegian in Norwegian. The third and final clarification I must make is a little more detailed and so it will receive its own paragraph.
Norway is a Scandinavian country in northern Europe. Scandinavia consists of Sweden, Denmark and Norway although some people consider Finland and Iceland to be included as well. What ever. Norway's ancestors were the vikings, they enjoy fish and skiing and discovered oil which has made them one of the most wealthy nations of the world (middle class poor?). Norway is NOT part of the European Union even though its siblings Sweden and Denmark are. Their money is called 'kroner' (in English 'crowns'). Norway is NOT Poland, despite what you may have heard (right Jess?). They speak Norwegian (not Polish). Anyways, this YouTube video should clear up any questions about Norway as a country (don't take it too seriously guys)! CLICK! :)
So that's it! I leave for Norge on Saturday. To be honest, I'm SUPER nervous about leaving Canada. I know how things work here despite which province I'm in. I hope I'll be able to adapt to their style of living and I hope my Norwegian isn't too rusty! I have a feeling I'll be speaking English for the first few weeks. The nice thing is that my dear Karina is currently residing in Norge studying abroad as well. I'm very excited to see her! She'll show me the ropes... I hope! Anyways guys, please please please 'Join This Site' so you can follow my adventures! Comments are always appreciated and it's super easy to do! If you have a GMail account you can join no problem! Thanks Reader! See you in six months!
No comments:
Post a Comment